Monday, April 23, 2007

Nickelodeon and Autism

Wow, I am total impressed with the Nickelodeon TV Channel. My 7 year old daughter and I were watching TV Sunday night, of course we were channel surfing, when I came upon a program put on by Nickelodeon about Autism. It really grabbed my daughter's attention because her 9 year old sister Alli is Autistic. We watched the program for awhile when she looked at me and said "we know about Autism, right mom". She was totally involved in watching the program and listening to other kids talk about their sister/brother with Autism. I believe it helped Becca to realize that her brother Cole and herself are not alone when it comes to having a sister like Alli who has Autism. The kids on this program expressed their feelings about their sister/brother with Autism and I think Becca could relate very well to what they were saying. I hope there were other kids who saw this program and I also hope it helped them to realize they are not alone. The reason I think this program was so great is because I have not seen a TV channel try to put Autism in a child's perspective, to try and make siblings feel like they are not alone and to try and tell "normal" familes it's not OK to make fun of children with Autism, but to try and understand them and realize being different is alright. Way to go Nickelodeon.

No comments: