Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Alternative Assessment

Monday night I went to a parent forum regarding alternative assessment. I was very surprised that most of the parents at this forum really didn't have a clue what alternative assessment was and what it does for your child. Alternative assessment is an alternate way for teachers and the department of education to assess your child, who has special needs, with children of the same age and grade level. In my situation I believe it is a huge waste of time. I think money and time spent on alternative assessment could be better spent working with my child on her goals from her IEP. The department of Ed. should be able to see from her IEP where she compares to other kids her age. Or just give them the Iowa Basic Skills test and you that way you could evenly see how they compare with other children.

No comments: