Thursday, July 31, 2008

Great American Seafood Cook Off

As a young teenager I remember a couple summer vacations with my family that took us all the way to Canada. I had never in my lifetime seen such a lake, if you can call the massive amount of water we fished on a lake, to me it could have been the ocean. I never did figure out how my dad knew where we were or how to get us back to the cabin we were staying at. The fishing was awesome and eating the fish was just as awesome. Recently my parents made a return trip to our favorite Canadian location, my Uncle Ron and Aunt Denise’s cabin, which is located near a town called Dryden. To hear all the different stories about the big one that got away and would have been just perfect on dad’s dinner plate still puts a smile on my face. Our all time favorite fish to eat would have to be Walleye, the flavor and the texture seems to be the most satisfying for my family, how to prepare it, well that still seems to be up for debate. How to prepare the fish, steaming on the grill to let the flavor of the charcoal come through, shore lunch over the open flame, deep fat frying it, or my favorite grilled with lots of butter and lemon pepper, usually causes some kind of argument. When going to Canada isn’t an option it’s not to hard getting fish local and fresh here in the Midwest. If my family really wants it fresh we just ask dad if he wants to go fishing and we try to catch it ourselves, by doing this we know exactly where our fresh fish came from, right out of the lake.

My recipe is quite simple, put Walleye in tin foil, place a few pieces of butter on fish, and sprinkle lemon pepper over fish, fold up tin foil and place on a hot grill. After about 10 minutes check the Walleye, if it is white and flaky it is done and ready for the plate, if not cook until 5 to 10 minutes longer. Sounds super yummy I know, but if you think you can make my all time favorite fish taste even better, I welcome any suggestions.

I have heard of an event called the Great American Seafood Cook Off, I wonder if my favorite Walleye recipe could be a contender? Cook off? My Walleye recipe in a cook off, that could be lots of fun. It would be pretty neat to see all the contenders and their different recipes for all different kinds of seafood as this is a very healthy way to eat. Trying different recipes sure could spice things up instead of eating the same old thing all the time.

No comments: