Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Autistic Daughter

My 10 year old daughter has autism. My husband and I feel she was not born with autism but developed autism after her vaccines. Alli is non-verbal which make communication with her very hard. She doesn't like to use her hands so trying to get her to use picture cards for communtication is very difficult. Lately her way of telling us she doesn't like something is to scream, a high pitched squeal, that can go on for minutes to hours depending on her mood. For the most part it is not a problem, however when it comes to bedtime it can be frustrating for her and for us. I am taking her to the doctor on friday to see if there is anything we can do for this new bedtime ritual she has started. Even thou she is very tired and ready for bed she just cannot wind down enough to go to sleep. Most nights she wants to lay down by her my her mommy, then daddy puts her to bed when she has finally fallen asleep. I am hoping on friday they can help us get Alli back to her normal bedtime routine of just going in her bed and falling asleep within minutes. If they can't give me any suggestions I am hoping when school starts she will just be so exhausted she will fall into bed at night.

No comments: